You’ve come to the right place for help with your writing projects.
However, our site is still under construction. Estimated “move-in date”: June 15, 2023
So in the meantime, for proofreading and copy editing services, contact me at Elaine@TheWrittenLink.com
I CAN FREE UP HOURS FOR YOU:
Just send me the work you need proofread and edited, and I’ll take it from there.
- examine every detail of your written material.
- make your writing more polished and powerful.
- find every misspelling, grammar error, punctuation mishap, and syntax snafu.
- suggest ways to rewrite confusing sentences.
- make your writing shine!
Proofreading is not a luxury; it’s a necessity – if you want to present quality, accurate information to your audience.
MY AREAS OF EXPERTISE INCLUDE:
- Medical equipment
- Emergency medical services
- Elder services
- PPE and safety equipment
- Health and well-being
- Self-help and self-improvement
FOR MANUSCRIPTS AND ARTICLES, I CAN ALSO PROOFREAD AND COPY EDIT THESE TOPICS:
- Cozy mysteries
- Christian fiction
- DIY and crafts
- Computers and internet topics
WHY WE SHOULD NEVER PROOFREAD OUR OWN WRITING:
It’s well known that proofreading our own writing is a bad idea.
A different set of eyes are needed to catch all the errors.
Why? Because our minds tell us what we meant to write, instead of what we did write. Our brain plays tricks on us. It will fill in the missing words, it will ignore duplicate words (the the), and it will skim over misspelled words. We start thinking about the meaning of what we are saying – forgetting that we are supposed to be focusing on each word, punctuation, and the layout of the page.
To put your best work forward, you need a professional proofreader/copy editor to pore over your written materials.
It needs to be someone who is trained in finding every error and experienced in the medical writing.
I am that person.
I AM QUALIFIED TO PROOFREAD AND COPY EDIT THESE TYPES OF MEDICALLY-RELATED DOCUMENTS:
- Sales and marketing materials, brochures
- Educational instructional materials, such as workbooks, e-books, tutorials, and user manuals
- Business documents, such as white papers, reports, meeting minutes, bylaws, and policies
- Written communications, such as letters, emails, memos, press releases, and newsletters
- Website copy, sales pages, and landing pages
- Blog posts, online articles, and magazine articles
- Long-form blog posts, ultimate guides, and step-by-step instructions
- Video course content, transcripts, and subtitles
 A FREE SAMPLE EDIT
I will complete a sample edit for you for free. This is usually a few pages of a manual or a sample document. If you like the results, we can continue. If not, there are no hard feelings, and you have a section of your work proofread and copy edited at no cost to you.
 QUALITY WORK
If at any point in the process you are not happy with the direction or quality of the proofreading or copy editing work, simply explain the problem you are having. You will find me very easy to get along with. I will either resolve your problem or we can part ways, whichever you prefer. I never want to waste your time or money.
 ONE PROJECT AT A TIME
I work on one proofreading/copy editing project at a time. If I’m in the middle of another project, I will make that perfectly clear to you in writing. I will give you an estimate of when I can begin your work, so you can make the decision to wait or look for another person to help you sooner.
 DEADLINES ARE MET
I meet my deadlines. But if for any reason I cannot, I guarantee that I will let you know right away. If you are unhappy with the new deadline, you will be free to seek out another proofreader/copy editor to complete the work. This is a very rare occurrence, but it’s comforting for you to know that you are free to move on, if I cannot meet your deadline.
 GOOD COMMUNICATION BETWEEN US
I keep in touch will my clients regarding the progress being made. I think it’s unfair for clients to wonder if their writing project is just sitting idle and unattended because they have not heard from their proofreader. Good communication leads to a good, cooperative experience.
 ONLY THE MOST CURRENT STANDARDS
I use the most up-to-date versions of all reference materials. This includes the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition and the Unabridged Merriam-Webster Dictionary. I will also use your own style sheet if there are unique rules you want to keep, such as unconventional capitalization, formatting, and the like.
 I NEVER CHANGE YOUR VOICE OR STYLE
It is my job to make corrections so that you will never be embarrassed by incorrect punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, or grammar. I will also point out any inconsistencies in formatting and question any facts that need double-checking.
If a sentence is unclear, I will ask you for clarification and suggest an alternative way to word your sentence. But never fear, I will not rewrite your work. You are the author; I am here to help you get your writing ready for the world.
AS YOUR PROOFREADER, I WILL:
* Correct misspelled words, improper capitalization, and incorrect URLs.
* Use your company’s style sheet, if you have one.
* Check headers and footers for mistakes in spelling or incorrect formatting.
* Check that all formatting is consistent throughout the document.
* Find double words, duplicate sentences, and duplicate paragraphs.
* Correct incorrectly hyphenated words and add hyphens when appropriate.
* Check that all page numbers are correct and in the right place.
* Check that all photo captions are correct.
* Point out hyphen stacking at the end of lines.
* Point out widows and orphans (single lines at the top and bottom of pages).
* Point out if the line spacing is too loose or too tight.
AS YOUR COPY EDITOR, I WILL ALSO:
* Check that the narrative flows smoothly, including sentence structure and length.
* Check that the tone and style are appropriate for the intended audience.
* Suggest ways to reword confusing or rambling sentences.
* Check that facts are correct and consistent throughout the document.
* Check that the best choice of words are used.
* Check that words, facts, or sections are not omitted.
“I have worked with Elaine on various projects for 2 years. She is extremely dependable–if she sets an appointment she keeps it. I had an opportunity to review a proposal she was writing, and her spelling, grammar, and diction were excellent. In person and over the telephone she is clear and to the point when she speaks, and economical with words. Not silent, but salient and to the point. I would recommend Elaine for any writing related project you have. She is a proven winner who gets results.” – David Prince, 2023
PROOFREADING AND/OR EDITING RATES:
Articles, proofreading only: $20 per 1,000 words.
Articles, proofreading and copy editing: $30 per 1,000 words.
Manuscripts: To proofread and copy edit an average manuscript of about 80,000 words takes three to five weeks. I charge between $800 and $900 for 80,000 words, depending on the degree of correcting that needs to be done.
If your project is an odd length or has special requirements, I’ll be glad to give you a quote on a case-by-case basis. Just contact me.
Contact me at Elaine@TheWrittenLink.com
#proofreading, #copy-editing, #medical-proofreading, #medical-editing